Rates are not set in stone: every piece of writing and every author’s weak spots are unique, therefore so is my pricing. However, the following should give you an idea of what I charge.
Base package: $15/1000 words*
This includes basic proofreading:
- Grammar, including capitalization, article use, subject-verb agreement, prepositions, verb tense etc.
- Correction of typos
Sentence package: add $5/1000 words to base price
All of the above plus:
- Sentence structure (if a sentence doesn’t flow properly, I’ll suggest alternatives)
- Vocabulary and terminology review (making sure the words you’re using are the right ones)
- Consistency of tables, figures, and charts (checking that when you refer to a table, figure, or chart in your text, it is consistent with what you’ve written)
Paragraph package: add $5/1000 words to base price
- Structural coherence and logical flow of content (making sure that each paragraph flows from one to the next and a reader can actually follow what you are writing about)
- Sequential order of chapters (like the bullet point above, but from chapter to chapter, rather than paragraph to paragraph)
Layout package: add $5/1000 words to base price
- Captions and running heads (making sure that the words in the headers and footers are correct/consistent)
- Spacing and indentation (that the document complies with specified style and/or formatting guidelines)
- Page numbering
Tables, Figures, and Charts package: $5 and up per item
- Reformatting/recreating tables, figures, and charts as per the author’s, style, or formatting requirements
- Example of tables, figures, and charts can be provided upon request
Citation package: add $5/1000 words to base price
- Citations are correct in both the text and the reference list
ESL package: add $5–15/1000 words to base price
I am experienced in editing writing by authors for whom English is not their first language and have found that there is a wide range of writing proficiency. I formulate the exact fee after reading a sample of text from the document I will be editing.
*Word counts in tables, figures, charts, reference lists etc. DO NOT COUNT unless you choose a package that includes that element.